Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Upcycling through surface design: Carved wooden stamps, fabric paint & stamps, fabric pens


Hi, I'm Michelle Paganini, independent pattern maker and upcycle sewing guru.  My upcycle sewing instructions are available here.

I've been wanting to add special touches to my upcycled garments, taking them more into to art-to-wear realm.  Surface design seems an obvious choice.

These flowers were made using hand carved wooden stamps, fabric paint, and outlining with fabric pens.  

  The same stamp was used for each flower. 

Outlining varying sections of the flowers with a pen makes each appear to be slightly different. 


This red version was also done with a wooden stamp.

Instead of fabric paint, I used red and white fabric ink stamp pads.

I happened to have a stamp with the same flower design as the printed fabric.  

Using the red ink on the light band and then white ink on the red fabric allowed me to continue the pattern up the shirt.  Using an ink pad (v.s. paint) gives a crisp outline.

Adding seed beads would give a 3D pop to either set of flowers - my next step!  


What are your favorite methods of surface design?


Happy Upcycling!

Michelle

I will be adding paints, ink pads, and pens to my Etsy site in the near future. 

If you would like to see new example garments, get links to my video tips, hear about sales, new patterns and events, please click here to be added to the Paganoonoo mailing list, never sold or shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment